Monday 12 October 2015

How To Stay Safe On Dating Sites/Apps.





Eharmony, Tinder, Grindr, POF, Love Match, even social media sites are being infamous for finding dates!

Gone are the days where you bump into a handsome stranger in the street, he spills coffee over you and you both fall madly inlove.

Okay, so even the most cliche Rom Coms are dated now and I expect even if they did make a film about 18/Female/UK seeking 40 year old millionaire, they'll leave out the part where 90% of the people you find online are NOT NORMAL.

This is why Catfish is also one of my favourite TV shows because they show the reality of meeting someone online and how a fantasy can be crushed by one (or in most cases a few!) lies. Because it's so easy to lie on the Internet right? How many of us got a social media account before we were 13 and changed our DOB, or clicked the "I Have Read The Terms and Conditions" box? At the time we had no idea how much that one lie can escalate.

As a single girl, of course I have experienced going on dates with someone I have met on social media and I've recently signed up to Plenty Of Fish to see whats out there because I've found having Tinder and swiping right if I like what I see is so degrading and how am I going to tell what kind of person they are by their Profile Pictures on Facebook?

This is what our society has come to, modern technology has reinvented the way we communicate with new people so here are a few tips from my own experience to help you:



  • I'm all for giving everyone a chance, so treat it as if you're meeting someone for the first time in person, if they were in your opinion "ugly" you wouldn't just ignore them if they said hi would you?
  • Flirty banter is the current phase but know your boundaries and retain your dignity. If the conversation becomes uncomfortably inappropriate too soon, get rid! You aren't going to find The One by recieving a d**k pic are you?
  • If you do find you are liking him/her, protect yourself. Don't go all Nev and Max on the poor thing but before you get in too deep, know who you're talking to. It's a very small world, 9 times out of 10 someone you know is bound to know them or of them but just to be sure, double check it's not psycho Derek down the road luring on you.
  • Meet them before committing to them. Someone's personality written down is far too generic. It's a fact of life, not everyone gets along even if you're consdered a "perfect match" online who enjoys long walks on the beach and napping; so does a dog!?
  • IMPORTANT: When meeting for the first time, day dates are perfect or even going for a drink in a public place. That way you're in a secure environment and it's preventing yourself from any danger.
If I've missed anything out, you don't agree with something I've said or you have any further tips, please let me know. I think it's our responsibility to look out for eachother these days.

Katie x

No comments:

Post a Comment